Monday, June 30, 2014

Pura Belpré Honor and American Library Association

My first American Library Association conference and the beautiful ceremony for the Pura Belpré was amazing  (and a little overwhelming). Here are pictures, and a little bit from my acceptance Speech.




"To conclude, I just want to thank everyone that has made this possible.

First, I’d like to thank the Committee for the Honor. A special thank you to Armando and everyone in Redwood City for their support. Next, I’d like to thank Kate Farrell, my editor, for her input and collaboration on the book. Kate’s invaluable input added that extra magic and joy to the book. I’d also like to thank Patrick Collins for meeting with me when I was a green and unknown illustrator. And of course, I’d also like to thank you everyone at Henry Holt who helped with the book.

I’d also like to thank my agent Linda Pratt for seeing the potential in me and for all her help over the years.

Lastly, my friends for their support, my students who allow, me test my material on them, and finally my family especially my mom who is here today. Thank you. "

No comments: